Our Estate was established by Jean-Louis GENIEST over a hundred years ago, by grouping together family lands located near the old road from Avignon to Châteauneuf du Pape.
Jean-Louis GENIEST came from a long line of cooper-ropemakers established on the banks of the Rhône and known since the 18th century.
The coopers and ropemakers made tuns and barrels of various capacities as well as ropes intended to secure them on the boats, for the “ascent” of the Rhône towards Lyon, Burgundy and Paris, carried out using teams of 30 horses on average traveling on the towpaths.
In 1909, Jean-Louis GENIEST acquired the Maison Vigneronne, at 28 avenue du Baron Le Roy, in the Clos district of Châteauneuf du Pape, to vinify the harvests from his plots located around the old “Mas Saint-Louis”. He then had the old winemaking vats that were there rebuilt; the vats, which are periodically renovated, are still in use.
He was succeeded by his son Gabriel and his grandson Louis.
Louis GENIEST (1909-1990) was keen to expand the founder’s work by acquiring new plots of vines, grouping some together through multiple exchanges, thus resulting in a magnificent, homogeneous and harmonious Estate of more than 30 hectares in one piece . His action was continued by his son Jean, an eminent jurist, doctor of law, and now, Monique GENIEST, the latter’s wife, manager of the Estate, who prioritizes the improvement of soils and crops, as well as the modernization of equipment and cultivation methods.



